Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Mexican today!

I am always for quick and easy one pot meals for those days when I'm just exhausted and yet need something exotic for my palette.I saw this yum recipe from pinterest and it has been a favorite ever since. 

So here goes:

While my pan heats up, i chop up some garlic and jalapeños(you can use green chillies if you like it nice n spicy like me). Add olive oil and fry the garlic and jalapeños for a bit.Add everything else(ingredient list below), cover and cook for 20 mins on a medium flame and you're done!

The original recipe called for vegetable broth but I love the twist chicken broth gives my recipes. I have tried this recipe with orzo as well and have loved both versions-I'd like to mention here that these are both pretty 'filling' grains!  Planning to try it with wild rice the next time (Will let you know how it goes!)

You can substitute the black beans with kidney beans or even garbanzo beans/chickpeas if you like!A super quick, easy, versatile and healthy meal you can dish up for lunch or dinner!

Here's the original recipe from Damndelicious:

Note: I usually never go by measurements, though it does help when one is starting out..As you go along, you'll realize you don't need to measure anymore and still get the recipe quite right every time!

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil 
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 1 jalapenos, minced 
  • 1 cup quinoa 
  • 1 cup vegetable broth (I substituted with chicken broth)
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed 
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (I used fresh chopped tomatoes)
  • 1 cup corn kernels 
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder 
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin 
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I reduce the salt since canned chicken broth usually has high salt content-I use the Kirkland brand from Costco)
  • 1 avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and diced (I love this bit!I am super generous with the avocados!)
  • Juice of 1 lime 
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
INSTRUCTIONS
  • Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapeno, and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute. 
  • Stir in quinoa, vegetable broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Stir in avocado, lime juice and cilantro. 
  • Serve immediately!
Tada!Here's the finished product!


Bon appetit Mademoiselle!


le grá
hauteinterpreter

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...